The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Organic Bed Sheets
For comfortable sleep, it is essential to equip your bed with all the right bedding items. A bed can have the bare essentials like a mattress, bed sheets and pillows or you can create a more luxurious bedroom by accessorizing.
This post is the ultimate guide to various types of organic bed sheet sets, their benefits and how to choose the best option for your home.
Different Types of Organic Fabric
Organic fabrics are those materials that are extracted from natural sources. They have various health benefits for the users and the following are some of the fabric types which are used for making organic bed sheets.
The most popular and comfortable organic fabric material is the cotton. The material is durable, breathable and affordable, making it a popular choice among homeowners looking for organic bedding. Organic valley sheets are bed sheet sets made of organic cotton sateen and are among the best options that you can get for your home.
There are several varieties of cotton like:
- Egyptian which is noted for its exceptional softness
- Pima cotton is characterized by the exceptionally long fibre produced from cotton grown in south-west United States
- Upland is the most common cotton type that is available all over the world today, though it originated in America.
- Micro cotton is known for its durability, absorbent quality and softness
Derived from flax plant, linen is a durable natural fibre that is stronger than cotton and heavier. Since the material is thicker than cotton, superior quality linens usually have a lower thread count. Taking note of the low thread count while shopping will help you find the best quality linen bed sheets.
This is actually made of combed cotton fibre. Combing fluffs up the fibres making it extremely soft so it can trap your body heat, keeping you warm. Hence, flannel is a great choice when you are looking for organic bed sheets for the winter. The quality of flannel fabric is measured in ounces per square feet and not by the thread count.
This is a luxurious choice of organic fabric for your bedding. Silk is a naturally hypo allergic option with a very smooth feel to touch. However, it is not suitable for daily use since it requires a high-level of maintenance and is expensive.
Tencel is actually a brand name for a specially processed organic fabric which is made from eucalyptus tree wood pulp. It is a soft fabric that is naturally antimicrobial which can even inhibit the growth of microorganisms, ensuring your sheets do not have to cleaned as frequently. But it is less breathable than cotton and many users find this to be a drawback of the material.
Advantages of Choosing Organic Bed Sheets
Choosing bed sheets made of organic material has numerous benefits like:
- It is healthy
Organic materials are not subject to chemical treatments, which ensure they are healthier. Organic bed sheets are hypo allergic making them a great choice for those who have allergies or if there is a baby in the house. Chemicals used to process synthetic fabrics can have adverse skin and respiratory issues on a person’s health.
- It is environment friendly
The cotton used for making organic bed sheets is harvested in a natural way, unlike regular cotton harvesting which requires the use of pesticides and insecticides for a higher yield. Additionally, these bed sheets are biodegradable because of their natural composition, further benefiting the environment. The production of these sheets is done sustainably, thus making sure the impact on the environment is minimal.
- Organic beddings are more comfortable
Since the fabrics experiences minimal contact with harsh chemicals, they are naturally rendered soft and comfortable to user. The weave of the material also influences these factors. Moreover, the organic materials are more breathable and can easily wick away moisture to ensure you are cool through the night. This is an additional advantage of the organic bed sheets made of cotton, making it a popular choice.
- Maintenance is easier
You can easily wash organic materials like cotton in your washing machine and dry them with the dryer. This is an advantage compared to the specialized cleaning process that certain synthetic materials require. Moreover, regular washing of materials like cotton and linen do not wear out easily as they are very durable.
Choosing the Right Bed Sheet
To find the perfect organic bed sheets for your home, keep the following tips in mind:
- Opt for 100 percent cotton sheets like organic valley sheets as they are more durable, affordable and breathable among all the types of organic fabric available.
- Choose the weave of the sheets carefully so that the softness and appearance is the best. The weight, price and longevity of the bed sheets are influenced by the weave and must be chosen accordingly.
- The finish of the bed sheet should be considered since the maintenance of the product depends on it. Also, wrinkling of the product varies depending on its finish.
- Apart from the thread count, also take note of the yarn fibre, spinning, and finishing altogether deciding whether it is the best choice for your home.
Choosing an organic bed sheet set is a wise decision in many ways when you consider the benefits each provides. Keeping in mind all the advantages discussed here will help you to choose wisely when you go to the store looking for organic bedding and accessories.