Guide to Choosing a Chemical-Free Organic Baby Mattress

Apr
26

New parents have a lot to consider, including what kind of mattress their baby will sleep on.

The easiest way to ensure your child sleeps comfortably and safely is to buy a chemical-free organic mattress. But which is the right one?

To help you understand the various aspects of a superior-quality crib mattress, we have written this introductory guide.

Let’s get started.

How to Choose the Right Chemical-Free Organic Baby Mattress

In this blog, we help new parents choose the right chemical-free baby mattress.

1. Look for Certified Products 

There are numerous certification programs that test the level of chemicals emitted by mattresses. As a buyer, this will make it easier for you to understand whether a particular product is safe for your baby. For instance, you may look for the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) or Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certification

Keep in mind that the GOTS requires products to be made using at least 95% certified organic materials. It also prohibits the use of various substances, even for the rest of the 5%, such as polyurethane foam and flame retardants.

For mattresses containing latex, the GOLS certification is used to ensure that it is made with 95% organic latex. Manufacturers have to follow restrictions for the other 5% of the components as well.

2. Check the Quality

While crib mattresses are only used for a year or two, it’s recommended that you look for one made from high-quality products. They are often made using cheap vinyl and foam which can degrade before your baby outgrows them. Since they are made with inferior products, the covers often crack, tear, compress and may release harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) . These chemicals can off-gas and cause developmental disabilities, asthma, and even reproductive disorders, among other issues.

On the other hand, chemical-free baby mattresses are made without toxic chemicals, making them the best and safest option. Even if they may be slightly more expensive or heavier, they are definitely worth the investment. Just be sure to always check the labels to make sure your baby mattress is chemical-free. Manufacturers often boast about selling organic and/or chemical-free products that are not 100% organic.

3. Research Your Options

When it comes to chemical-free organic baby mattresses, you have many options. This makes your choice all the more difficult. That’s why it’s a good idea to take time to learn about the advantages and potential drawbacks of different materials. Once you know the differences, you can ensure that your little dreamer is sleeping safely.

4. Check the Mattress Firmness

What many new parents don’t know is that it’s important to choose a firm crib mattress. This keeps your baby safe from suffocating.

The mattress you choose should be firm enough not to conform to your child’s head. The ideal firmness should be between an 8 and 10 on this mattress firmness scale.

5. Consider the Filling

When it comes to a chemical-free baby mattress, you should also look into its filling. Organic cotton is a great choice as it’s non-toxic, breathable, firm, and completely natural. And in case there is a fire-related accident, cotton won’t ignite like polyurethane foam; nor will it release toxic fumes if it does ignite.

Another suitable material is organic wool. This naturally fire-resistant material doesn’t provide a favourable environment for dust mites. Plus, it handles moisture well, so you don’t have to worry about your child being uncomfortable. Moreover, organic wool is naturally hypoallergenic, making it a great option.

You may also choose mattresses with organic latex filling. Be sure to ask the manufacturer or sales person whether there are any chemicals mixed with it. Mattress providers often mix chemicals with latex during processing. Ask for the GOLS certification that claims they provide 100% organic latex mattress filling.

 

Not all decisions when it comes to baby products are easy to make, but this one can be. Now that you know how to purchase a chemical-free mattress for your little one, it’s time to make an educated decision for their health and well-being. Follow these tips and you will have peace of mind knowing they are sleeping in a safe environment and aren’t exposed to toxic chemicals from a very young age.