Crib Mattress Buying Guide: How to Choose the Perfect Option
One of the most challenging tasks associated with expecting a child is putting their nursery together. But while finding cute bedding and picking the perfect shade of paint are important, it’s vital to create a safe and comfortable sleeping space.
Infants tend to spend most of their time asleep, so it’s recommended that you put careful thought into choosing a high-quality organic mattress.
However, shopping for one that is both comfortable and safe for your baby is not easy, what with so many options.
So, take some time to read these crib mattress buying tips to ensure you choose the best one.
Let’s get started.
How to Choose a Crib Mattress for Your Baby’s Nursery
The right high-quality organic mattress is one key to ensuring your baby’s good health.
- Research Your Options: There are various types of mattresses available, ranging from synthetic foam to organic materials. So, you should take time to discover the benefits and drawbacks of each to make the right choice.
Be aware that the manufacturing processes of different mattress materials leave behind chemical toxins that are released while your baby sleeps. These can aggravate existing medical conditions. Furthermore, they may also cause new and potentially harmful health issues in your child.
However, a high-quality organic mattress helps create a safer environment for your child.
- Check Dimension, Weight, and Size: It’s important to know the size of the crib to ensure you choose the right high-quality organic mattress. Typically, there are two standard crib mattress sizes: ones for standard cribs and those designed for mini cribs. The dimensions of a standard mattress is 28” x 52” x 3/8”; for a mini crib mattress, 24” X 38”.
If you’re concerned about the perfect fit, it’s best to purchase the mattress and crib from the same manufacturer or provider.
- Ensure Waterproof Covering: When it comes to newborns and babies, accidents are inevitable. So, it’s important to have a high-quality organic mattress with a waterproof cover. However, if you are interested in a specific variety of organic mattress, you can purchase a waterproof cover separately. This will prevent liquids from seeping in and ensure your baby sleeps comfortably throughout the night.
- Safety Considerations: Your baby will most likely be spending about 12 to 15 hours per day sleeping or napping in their crib throughout their first few years. With so much time spent on their mattress, you should ensure that the manufacturer has taken certified safety precautions. For instance, high-quality organic mattresses are certified using the Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS) and Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certifications.
If your mattress provider cannot offer any certification, their products are most likely not authentically organic. It’s recommended that you look for the ‘100% organic’ mark on product labels or an independent certification such as those mentioned above.
- Consider Your Budget: While you don’t want to cut corners when it comes to your baby’s crib, you also don’t want to blow your entire nursery budget. So, set a budget to ensure you don’t overspend. A high-quality organic crib mattress may cost anywhere between $90 and $200, but you can expect to pay more for special features. For instance, if you are looking to buy an eco-friendly mattress in Oakville with an allergen-reducing cover, you may have to spend more than $200.
Searching for a high-quality organic mattress for your baby’s crib can seem overwhelming. There’s a lot of information out there, and knowing where to begin is not easy. Using these tips can narrow down your options, so you will have a good starting point. Then the entire process will become more streamlined and less stressful.