Silk Duvets: 7 Surprising Benefits Over Wool, Down & Cotton
Silk is the epitome of luxury – and rightly so given its softness, beauty, and health benefits.
That’s why it’s a popular material for bedding items like duvets. This luxurious addition to your bedroom can change the way you sleep and give that room an instant facelift. To experience the difference a silk duvet can make to your bedroom, comfort and sleep, try using it instead of wool or down.
Not sure if silk duvets are right for you? Let’s consider their benefits.
The Advantages of Silk Duvets
Have you ever thought of changing your wool, cotton or down duvet for silk? Here are some of the benefits of that choice.
1) It’s Hypoallergenic
Silk is naturally hypoallergenic. This makes it ideal for asthma and allergy sufferers. This natural material prevents common allergens, like dust mites, from living in your bed and prevents them from thriving by repelling moisture. It also doesn’t have the chemical odour common in synthetic duvets which can lead to respiratory problems and allergic reactions, like sneezing and coughing, in those sensitive to chemicals.
2) It Prevents Overheating
Unlike synthetic duvets that trap heat and can disrupt your sleep by making you too warm, silk is a breathable fabric that naturally wicks moisture away from your body. That means silk duvets keep you cool and comfortable all night. This makes them an excellent choice for those who suffer night sweats or hot flushes.
Silk duvets also come in handy in winter as they keep you warm by gently hugging your body instead of overloading you with the weight of multiple blankets and comforters.
3) It’s Easy to Maintain
Silk duvets are luxurious, chic and require some special attention, but they’re relatively easy to preserve and keep in good shape. Just keep these tips in mind;
- You don’t have to wash them as silk naturally repels dust, dirt, dust mites, moths, mildew and odours.
- If you have to clean them because of stains, wash by hand or on a gentle cycle. The water temperature should not be more than 86°F.
- Do not dry clean. This can affect their natural properties. Air dry after washing.
- Cover your silk duvet with a removable cover so you don’t need to wash it frequently.
4) It’s Soft to the Touch
Nothing compares to the soft and soothing comfort of sleeping with a silk duvet. Do you love cuddling up with your duvet as it drapes around your body? Then, silk will not disappoint.
5) It’s Long Lasting
Silk’s luxurious texture masks its durability. Silk threads are incredibly strong, making this kind of bedding less prone to tearing, pulling or snagging than their counterparts. That’s why high-quality silk bedding can last up to 20 years, so long it’s not subjected to harsh detergents and frequent laundering.
6) It’s Good for Your Skin
Among silk’s amazing health benefits is its ability to make wrinkles appear smoother. Silk dehydrates skin less than cotton by keeping your epidermis hydrated through the night, thus making it softer and smoother. Unlike wool duvets which can irritate the skin, silk soothes sore skin so you don’t have to worry about your duvet chafing you.
7) It’s Eco-Friendly
Silk is a highly renewable resource whose creation has less impact on the environment than other fabrics. No pesticides or fertilizers are used to grow the mulberry leaves that are fed to silkworms. Also, silk is not treated with chemicals, so you can rest assured that you’re using a sustainably-sourced product.
Comparing Three Types of Duvets: Wool vs. Silk vs. Down
If you want a duvet made from organic materials, silk, wool and down are your main choices. We’ve outlined the benefits of silk duvets. Now, let’s look at how they differ from wool and down.
● Wool duvets are made with sheep or Alpaca wool. This natural, hypoallergenic material is similar to silk.
● They provide great insulation. The natural air pockets in wool trap heat and help you stay warm when it’s cold outside.
● They are soft to the touch
● Silk duvets are ideal for both warm and cold weather.
● Silk is thinner and lighter. This means it has a smoother, more soothing touch than wool which is solid.
● Silk ones ease the difficulty of turning during sleep.
● They are easier to clean and maintain.
● Down is a natural, breathable fill option for duvets. But it traps body heat, which will keep you warm but can lead to overheating.
● Down duvets are bulkier. They can be rigid enough to make it more difficult for the sleeper to move.
● They encourage mould and dust mite growth when moist.
● Silk regulates your temperature by letting some of your body heat pass through the duvet.
● Silk duvets achieve a close fit to your body.
● They are naturally anti-fungal and prevent dust mites.
As should be apparent, silk duvets are worth their cost. They help you sleep comfortably; keep you cool in summer, warm in winter; reduce allergic reactions; and can last for years. So, if you’re planning to buy an organic duvet, choose silk over wool or down. You can rest assured knowing you’ll be happy with your purchase. Browse our collection of the best silk duvets in Canada to find the one for you.