How to Buy an Organic Mattress in Toronto
A comfortable mattress is an investment that should last years, especially given that we sleep about one-third of our lifetime.
Healthy living requires good sleep which itself requires a bedtime routine that includes avoiding caffeine and improving your sleep environment via a good mattress. And the best mattresses are chemical-free and organic.
Some, however, are filled with chemicals like benzene, acetaldehyde, and formaldehyde. These affect your body over time and irritate the nose, eyes, and throat. Their production is also harmful to the environment thanks to the chemicals used. The use of organic materials, however, leads to less waste as it can be easily refurbished, refreshed, and decomposes naturally. If you are getting an organic mattress in Toronto, make sure to buy it from a reputable seller.
Now, let’s examine the problems with regular mattresses and why you should go organic instead.
Issues with Regular Mattresses
Keeping your family safe is your priority. So, it makes sense to pick a non-toxic mattress made with organic materials like cotton, latex, and wool. A soft pillow top mattress may seem harmless, but can expose you to flame retardants and mites.
- Flame Retardants – Some mattress companies do not disclose the chemicals they use to make their products flame retardant. Regular mattresses can expose you to chemicals such as polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE), decabromodiphenyl oxide, and boric acid. PCBEs are banned in various European countries, parts of the USA, and Canada. These chemicals accumulate in the body through inhalation and through skin, damaging the brain and reproductive system, especially in children.
Other chemicals found in mattresses include:
Formaldehyde: Used as an adhesive in polyurethane foam-based mattresses and leads to respiratory issues.
VOCs: Used as a glue in regular mattresses and can cause skin and lung irritation.
- Mites – Research shows how dust mites feed on the excess skin of humans and animals and defecate within the mattress. This leads to a bad odor and hints at the degradation of the material. In addition, it increases bacteria and fungi, resulting in allergic reactions during sleep.
Questions to Ask While Looking for an Organic Mattress
Before buying an organic mattress in Toronto, ask yourself the following questions.
- Is It Safe to Use? – The use of cotton, organic wool, and 100% latex makes it easy for organic mattresses to decompose, making it an environmentally-friendly option that won’t end up in the landfill. In addition, it does not contain harmful chemicals like formaldehyde or VOCs.
Most of the materials used in organic mattresses, such as cotton, are grown without preservatives, so cause no harm. And organic wool does not require any chemicals to become flame retardant; the power to resist mould and mites comes from its fabric as it allows moisture to pass through the fibers without holding back any moisture. Both mites and mould require moisture for their growth.
There is also 100% natural latex which is a renewable resource as it is obtained from rubber plants. It is anti-allergic, anti-bacterial, fungus-free, and naturally dust-mite repellent.
- Is the Mattress Comfortable? – A comfortable mattress is a necessity, and a plush natural mattress cushions your body with its soft fabric.
To sleep well, it is necessary to feel comfortable subconsciously and physically. Sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress strains the body as you will constantly toss and turn, thus affecting the quality of your sleep. So, it is better to go with a fabric like cotton as your body will sink into it comfortably.
- Is the Mattress Supportive? – Body support is a key factor associated with organic mattresses and can deeply impact your health. Correcting and maintaining your body’s posture becomes possible due to this support from the mattress. To sleep on your side, you need to give more support to the spine as the shoulder takes the pressure from the mattress. So, you need to strike the right balance with the mattress.
Choosing an organic mattress in latex, wool, or cotton keeps your shoulder at ease while your spine can relax in a neutral posture. These mattresses are also a good option if you suffer from pain, including backache, as it gives support to the body.
Use this guide to start looking for an organic mattress that is comfortable and safe. Overall, it is worth buying as it is free from harmful chemicals and an eco-friendly product, so there’s no need to think about its ill effect on nature. Ultimately, it will take care of your sleeping needs to ensure a healthier life.