Are you Sleeping with Chemicals and Toxins?
You may think you are leading a relatively healthy lifestyle, you eat right, you exercise and you don’t smoke. Unfortunately chemicals are everywhere in our environment. They enter our bodies through items we touch, the food we eat and the air we breathe.
There are currently over 100,000 chemicals in use today. And only a very small percentage has ever been tested for human health effects. Most people are surprised to learn that their mattress may be one of their most significant daily sources of chemical exposure. Not only does a conventional mattress contain an undisclosed amount of chemicals, but it’s one item in our lives which we have the most daily contact with. Switching to an organic mattress is probably the easiest step toward a healthier lifestyle. It requires a researched but simple purchase and you are on your way to obtaining a healthy sleep. Add organic bedding and organic pillows into the mix and you are all set and ready for a healthy sleep.
To date less than 300 chemicals used today have ever been tested, and the health and environmental effects of many of these substances remain largely untested and unknown. We all want our homes to be a clean and safe place to live, but toxic invaders may lurk inside your home, putting you and your family at risk. Studies show that most of our chemical exposure occurs indoors, from products we choose to use. Health effects of thousands of chemicals used to grow crops or make consumer products are never disclosed to consumers or government agencies; because most businesses claim that the information is confidential business or ‘trade secrets’.
One study conducted on an individual’s blood and urine found,
- 52 chemicals that have been linked to reproductive and child development damage
- 48 compounds that can cause cancer in animals and are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans,
- 25 chemicals that can have detrimental effects on the nervous system, causing symptoms such as muscle weakness, tremors, dizziness, confusion and memory loss
- 23 chemicals that can be responsible for damage to the gastrointestinal tract, stomach, liver, and gallbladder
- 21 chemicals that are known to interact with the endocrine system and lead to hormone disruption, which in turn may cause diabetes
- 21 chemicals that can effect skin and sense organs, causing symptoms such as a rash, itching, poor vision, and hearing.
- 20 chemicals that may affect the reproductive fertility and pregnancies
- 17 chemicals that have been associate with heart damage,
- 17 chemicals that may potentially toxic to the immune system
- 16 chemicals that could be toxic to urinary system, including the kidneys
You may find this shocking, but this is just one individual that was tested. Are we all carrying similar levels of chemicals in our bodies and more importantly how do these chemicals impact our health?
Changing your toxic mattress to an organic mattress is a good start in trying to eliminate personal chemical exposure. At Dormio, we offer a wide variety of only the best organic mattresses and organic bedding available in the market today. Come visit us today and learn more about how to obtain a healthy sleep.